Tuesday 12 March 2013

Part 1: Deciding Your Keepers


Auction Post-Mortem: How my plan played out

This is probably going to be a pretty big post which will have to go up in segments. I am hosting a design meeting later today that I have to prepare for and won’t have time to finish this properly. As you may have noticed by now I don’t really edit anything so let’s see how this goes.

Part 1: Deciding Your Keepers

We have to submit our keepers normally on March 1st with our auction anywhere around the 15-20th of March. This year we had some members away on vacation so we had to have our auction on March 1st which meant our keeper list went in on Feb 17th – or about 2 games into Spring Training. This presented some new wrinkles that we hadn’t dealt with before.

The general rule of thumb for your keepers is that if you can get them cheaper at the auction than what you’re keeping them for you let them go. You may also have players that you could not get cheaper at the auction but you are uncertain about how they’ll do in the upcoming season and therefore don’t really want to keep them. Falling into this category for me this year was Jim Johnson ($23) and Joe Mauer ($22). Then there are the guys that are way overpriced but come at scarce positions and someone is likely to want them given inflationary factors. For me this was Cano ($46).

For guys that you will be keeping their value is directly related to how much of a bargain they are. Say for example, I had Cespedes for $12 going into this year and he’s likely a $26 player then that’s a steal. I can use that $14 I ‘save’ on Cespedes to overspend on another position or two. That makes him extremely valuable. If someone offered their $31 Bautista to me for my Cespedes I’d tell them where to go and how to get there. Of course if they were both the same price I’d likely take Bautista every time (personal preference). This can turn average players into valuable commodities and excellent players into waiver fodder. A $7 Jake Peavy is way more valuable than a $20 Chris Sale even though you’d take Sale over Peavy any day of the week.

My roster going into this year before cuts was:

Billy Butler
1B
31
Chril Tillman
P
8
Coco Crisp
OF
20
Curtis Granderson
OF
39
Edwin Encarnacion
1B/3B
23
Stephen Drew
SS
6
Elvis Andrus
SS
34
Eric Thames
OF
6
Hiroki Kuroda
P
20
Jim Johnson
P
23
Jake Peavy
P
7
Joaquin Benoit
P
7
Joe Mauer
C
22
Joel Peralta
P
6
Kendrys Morales
1B/OF
19
Matt Harrison
P
9
David Robertson
P
6
Michael Saunders
OF
9
Robinson Cano
2B
46
Max Scherzer
P
30
Vinnie Pestano
P
12
Zack Greinke
P
39

At this point I generally use a stop light on each guy. Basically green = keep, yellow = maybe and red = cut. Greinke was out as he went to the NL.

Reds were: Pestano, Cano, Peralta, Kuroda, Thames, Andrus, and Granderson.

Yellows were: Scherzer, Saunders, Robertson, Harrison, Morales, Mauer, Benoit, Johnson, Butler, Coco and Tillman.

Greens were: Peavy, Encarnacion and Drew.

When I decide on keepers I value stability highly. I am more than willing to spend money on a $31 Billy Butler who may not produce at the $31 level but will hit .290, 20, 90 almost guaranteed with the potential for more rather than a $35 Josh Hamilton who could be amazing or mediocre. At auction I’ll take more chances but with keepers I want to know what I’m paying for. Now you might notice that none of Peavy, Drew or Encarnacion are sure-things which is true but for their prices its well worth the investment.

Now my eye turns to trades I can make. To do this I look at all of the other rosters and try to identify players that I will value more than my competitors at their prices. At the same time I’m also projecting keepers on other teams to determine which positions will be shallower than others. Almost automatically I noticed that catching was quite deep this year for us. We take 10 catchers of the 15 with starting jobs and there were up to 12 catchers that given their price I could stomach playing for my team. This made Mauer and his $22 price tag expendable. For outfield I came to the opposite conclusion. Based on some of the projected keepers I made it looked like there would be very few ‘sure-things’ available and that apart from the elite (Trout, Bautista, Cespedes, Jones, Gordon, etc)  who were all kept there wasn’t much. Guys like Ellsbury, Melky, Suzuki, Granderson and Cruz were all available but all are highly volatile. Granderson of course broke his forearm right before our auction so he was off the table. I decided that at the very least I wanted one outfielder that I had a reasonable level of confidence in and was well rounded. To achieve this I dealt Cano ($46) and Mauer ($22) for Alex Rios ($18). Cano is obviously elite and 2B looked to be a wasteland but I just won’t pay more than $40 for anyone as a keeper unless your name is Miguel Cabrera. The way the Yankees look this year I just can’t see him producing the same numbers as last year. Rios should be a 20/20 outfielder and for $18 I was sold. That’s not exactly a steal but at least it gave me one OF that I could be certain of.

Gotta do work now. ‘Til tomorrow....

2 comments:

  1. Someone just pointed out to me that they would keep Hamilton at $34 everyday of the week and twice on Sunday over Butler at $31. My point is not that Hamilton could very well be worth more than Butler and more than his $34 price tag. My point is that Butler's floor level production is likely higher than Hamilton's floor level production. Butler is one of the most stable hitters in the game and Hamilton is one of the most volatile. How will the move to LA work out? Who will protect him in the lineup? What about the move to a pitcher's park? Will he get hurt and for how long? For a keeper I want stability. Hamilton would have been someone I'd take a shot at in the auction. Butler is someone I want so that I am able to gamble elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mr. Doolittle: I've followed your work for years. Your point about Butler being more dependable than Hamilton is valid. IE: Butler is a CDN bank stock. Conservative, predictable, and will get you a solid return come seasons end.

      Josh Hamilton is LinkedIn or Facebook. Much more risk attached out of the gate.

      As for whom will protect him in the line-up? Hamilton will be protected like Fort Knox in contrast to your boy BB.

      Full disclosure... I own Josh Hamilton at $34 as a keeper from 2012. And LOVE the investment. I also own Facebook stock and LOVE the investment.

      Regards,

      Volatile Smith

      Delete